1) He is the Way; men without him are Cains, wanderers, vagabonds:—
2) He is the Truth; men without him are liars, like the devil, who was so of old:—
3) He is the Life; without him men are dead, dead in trespasses and sins :—
4) He is the Light; without him men are in darkness, and go they know not whither:—
5) He is the Vine; those that are not grafted in him are withered branches, prepared for the fire:—
6) He is the Rock; men not built on him are carried away with a flood:—
7) He is Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the author and the ender, the founder and the finisher of our salvation.
P.S. He that hath not him, hath neither beginning of good, nor shall have end of misery.
from a sermon entitled A Vision of Unchangeable, Free Mercy ; Volume 8, page 36